Thrush or Candidiasis is a fungal infection caused by Candida which can affect different parts of the mouth. Thrush refers to an oral yeast infection that usually attacks your tongue, mouth, roof of the mouth, inner cheeks, gums as well as tonsils in extreme cases if thrush is not dealt with in a timely manner. Read on to find out how to cure thrush in the mouth as well as causes an symptoms of this annoying yeast infection.
A person suffering from thrush will have visible white patches on his tongue and mouth as well as cracked, irritated tissue. These patches will look like cottage cheese mounds on the tongue and could bleed and hurt if scraped.
The sensation of mouth thrush is like having something trapped inside the tonsils. It will often hurt as if suffering from a throat infection.
While anyone can suffer from thrush, children and the elderly population is mostly affected by this condition as well as individuals with compromised immune systems.
Learning how to cure thrush in the mouth naturally is very easy and it can be done from the comfort of your own home using nothing but natural home remedies. Though you can find many over the counter topical creams and capsules that will cure your thrush condition quickly, such medicine will only stop the infection itself and not tackle the root cause of your thrush condition, which is your body’s inability to control the yeast, naturally present in the body.
Here are some guidelines on how to cure thrush in the mouth naturally using home remedies:
- Pay attention to oral hygiene. Brush your teeth regularly and use a mouth wash. As long as you maintain your oral health, this combination will not only help you cure thrush in your mouth, but will also prevent the condition from coming back.
- Rinse your mouth with a mixture of vinegar and water. This combination will relieve the burning sensation in your mouth as well as kill the fungus.
- Tea tree oil can also help you cure thrush in the mouth as well as other yeast related infections. Dilute some tea tree oil in water and rinse your mouth with it. Experiment with the amount of tea tree oil you dilute in water, as it can be very irritating to the mouth.
- Mix one teaspoon of salt with water and swish the mixture around your mouth for a few minutes. Repeat the procedure 3-4 times a day, making sure not to rinse your mouth with water afterwards to allow for salt to relieve the symptoms and cure your thrush.
- Pay attention to food intake. Avoid sweets and sugary foods and start consuming more yogurt, fruits and vegetables. This will improve you immune system which will in turn start combating thrush naturally by keeping Candida in check. Also, make sure you increase your vitamin and nutrient intake, especially calcium and vitamin B and C. People who consume these nutrients, either through food or supplements, are less likely to get any yeast related infection, especially thrush in the mouth.
- Avoid coffee, alcohol and breads (along with other yeast filled products). They will actually feed the thrush and worsen your condition. After you have cured your thrush infection, you can go back to consuming these products.
- Eat more garlic. Garlic will strengthen your immune system. Weak immune system is the primary root cause of thrush in the mouth as well as all other yeast infections for that matter.
You can also put a garlic clove in your mouth and move it around for a few minutes, without chewing it and then take the clove and rub it against the thrush location. Alternatively, you can put garlic oil on a cotton ball and apply it to yeast infected zones.
- Include Omega-3 and Flax seed in your diet.
- Include Acidophilus supplements in your diet. They won’t cure thrush infection, but will help balance the natural bacteria in your body, which will prevent thrush from growing.
Lactobacillus Acidophilus is a bacterium that produces lactic acid which will improve your digestive system as well as your overall health. During excessive alcohol consumption or antibiotics intake, the level of good bacteria in your body can decrease significantly, causing digestion issues and worsening immune functions. These dietary supplements will boost these bacteria in your digestive system.
- Drink plenty of water. It will rid your body of toxins and boost your immune system.
Causes of thrush
Candida fungus is normally present in the digestive tract, mouth and skin. The good bacteria keep this level in balance. However, candida can grow out of control and cause thrush during stress situations, illnesses or antibiotics intake.
Medications that upset this balance and cause thrush include antibiotics, corticosteroids and birth control pills. Such medications will kill not only disease-causing bacteria, but also harmless bacteria that help our body control candida fungus. On the other hand, yeast is unaffected by medications and will start to grow and multiply.
Illnesses that are known to cause candida infection include HIV infection, diabetes, cancer and dry mouth. Smokers are also more likely to develop thrush in the mouth than non-smokers.
So, basically, any factor that will disturb the natural bacteria balance in our body and lower immune system functions can trigger thrush.
Symptoms of thrush
Though it may persist over a period of time and develop into a chronic infection, thrush usually develops and recedes quickly. A common symptom of thrush is the development of creamy white mounds in your mouth that resemble cottage cheese. These lesions can be painful and may bleed if scraped with a toothbrush. In extreme cases, thrush can spread into your esophagus and cause pain when swallowing or even fever if it spreads beyond the esophagus.
Besides mouth, thrush can also spread to liver, lungs and skin, especially in people who suffer from cancer, aids or other conditions that weaken the immune system.
Is thrush contagious?
No. You cannot catch thrush as yeast is already present in our body. However, many factors can increase the chances of getting thrush. The leading cause is overuse of medications, especially antibiotics.
Now that you know how to cure thrush in the mouth naturally, all you need to do is follow the aformentioned tips and you will get rid of this annoying yeast infection in no time.